Dr. Baker Chambliss, your Birmingham pediatric dentist, shares the following important dental reminders for spring:
- Buy a new toothbrush – It’s probably time you bought a new toothbrush for everyone in the family. You should change your toothbrush every three months. Check to make sure your child has also not graduated to a larger sized toothbrush from the one they used prior. We are happy to let you know when your child may need to go to the next level toothbrush.
- Check your mouthguard – Football isn’t the only sport where you could benefit from a custom made mouthguard. We fit our patients for a mouthguard the is designed to the exact layout of his/her mouth. Mouthguards should be worn in most spring sports. Data shows that only 7 % of athletes wear mouthguards for spring sports, yet 13-39% of all dental injuries are sports related.
- Schedule your spring cleaning – Have you brought your child for their twice yearly appointment? If you saw us before school started, you are overdue! We have plenty of dental appointments available to help you check on your little ones’ teeth to make sure they keep their beautiful smiles.
- Drink and pack plenty of water– The temperatures are rising. Kids can play hard and heat up quickly. Make sure the families stays hydrated with water instead of sugary drinks. Pack water bottles to avoid getting sugary drinks out of convenience. Since you may be carrying drinks around for an extended period of time, it really helps to make that drink water vs. a drink with sugars that can sit on teeth if ingested over a long period of time.
- Tell a friend about NuSmile-the need for pediatric crowns is more common than you may think. Medplex offers a pediatric crown called NuSmile that matches the natural color of your child’s teeth. There are some dentists that only provide silver crowns, which can have an unauthentic appearance. Make sure to share that we provide this service with your friends if they need it!
Medplex Pediatric Dentistry, pediatric dentist in Alabaster, Birmingham, Hoover, Helena, and Pelham, AL